If you’re suffering from multiple tooth loss and are looking for a permanent fix to get back your smile and your ability to bite and chew correctly, then you must have heard about all-on-4 dental implants. If not, don’t worry; this article will tell you everything you need to know about all-on-4 dental implants.
While a regular implant requires individual titanium screws for every missing tooth. All-on-4 dental implants use just 4 metal screws to replace an entire arch or complete set of teeth on the lower or upper jaw.
Let’s find out more below.
What are All-on-4 Dental Implants?
All-on-4 dental implants are a set of permanent teeth or dentures that require just 4 titanium screws to replace all missing teeth on your lower or upper jaw.
A traditional implant usually consists of 3 main parts:
- Implant: This is the titanium screw surgically inserted into the jawbone. Once set in place, the implant is left for several weeks or a few months for osseointegration, i.e., to properly fuse with the surrounding bone and gum tissue.
- Abutment: The abutment that comes next is a small connector piece that supports the dental crown and links it to the deeply-embedded implant.
- Crown: The crown is the dental prosthesis that replaces the missing tooth. It looks like a natural tooth and is usually made from porcelain, resin, or ceramics.
Typically, you would require individual implants to replace a complete set of teeth. Thankfully with all-on-4 dental implants, you can support a complete set of teeth on just 4 implants, placed at strategic intervals.
So, needn’t worry about undergoing several surgeries across multiple sessions. After proper examination and X-rays, the next major task is to identify 4 ideal implantation sites. This is where 4 tiny holes are drilled into the jawbone for implant placement.
The two anterior implants are placed to follow individual jaw anatomies, and the other two implants are tilted at 45° angulation to provide maximum support.
How to Get All-On-4 Dental Implants
While all-on-4 implants are an excellent option for restoring your teeth and dental functionality, not everyone is a viable candidate for dental implants.
You require a minimum level of bone density to support and fuse with the implants. Sometimes, your dentist may recommend bone graft surgery to make your jawbone fit for implants.
The process of getting all-on-4 implants is as follows:
- The process starts with an initial consultation, during which your dentist will ask you about your dental history and conduct an extensive oral examination.
- X-rays are taken to identify and locate 4 ideal implantation sites where the metal screws will go in.
- Once your dentists are done identifying the 4 sites, they will go ahead and book a surgical session.
- During this session, your dental surgeon will implant all 4 implants in either your lower or upper jawbone. You may have to undergo bone graft surgery if required.
- Once the implants are placed, the sites are closed and fitted with caps to facilitate healing.
- Your clinic will share a list of guidelines you need to follow for proper healing and osseointegration. You must follow these guidelines to prevent damage to gum tissue or implant displacement. Especially during those crucial early days after the surgery.
- Osseointegration usually takes between 3 to 6 months. Once your dentist is satisfied, he will replace your temporary dentures with new, permanent ones.
Are you looking for trusted implant specialists in Osseo, MN? Book an initial consultation at Osseo Dental Today!
What are the Key Benefits of All-on-4 Dental Implants
Now that you are much better informed about all-on-4 dental implants, let’s take a closer look at their key benefits.
They Are a More Economical Option
It’s a fact that cost plays a significant role in the decision to opt for any dental procedure. Full mouth dental implants may cost you a fortune as they require multiple implants and surgeries.
However, with all-on-4 implants, you require much less surgery and also significantly a lower number of dental implants. This brings down both the surgical and material costs. Making all-on-4 dental implants an affordable solution for replacing an entire arch of teeth.
Offer a Long-Lasting Solution
A common question asked by people who are considering getting all-on-4 implants is, “How long do all-on-4 implants last?”
Well, all-on-4 implants are incredibly long-lasting, as data shows that they last for 20 years or more on average. In most cases, the implants stay intact for years. However, the dentures on top experience daily wear and tear and require more frequent replacement. A well-made denture can last up to 10 years with proper care and maintenance.
Help Preserve the Jawbone Structure
Even as all-on-4 implants require a certain amount of bone mass density, they also help preserve the integrity of your jawbone.
Can you imagine the condition of your jawbone if the dentist had to drive in an implant for every single tooth replacement? Hardly any natural bone structure would be left.
All-on-4 brings down the number of implants required for a complete denture replacement to just 4 and improves your jawbone’s natural integrity, strengthening it further.
Note: You need to be vigilant about your oral healthcare, even with artificial teeth, as poor oral hygiene can cause gum disease that deteriorates the gum tissue and leads to implant failure.
You should ideally brush and floss at least twice daily and schedule regular check-ups with your dentist.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I get all-on-4 implants if I don’t have any natural teeth?
Ans. You can, indeed! All-on-4 implants can give you the same convenience, appearance, and functionality as permanent dentures if you don’t have any natural teeth. These implants are a great option for people who are missing or will soon be missing an entire arch or teeth.
If you are missing only 1-2 or more teeth, you can opt for individual implants or implant-support dentures/bridges.
- How do all-on-4 implants feel?
Ans. All-on-4 dental implants look and function just like natural teeth. They feel similar to real teeth or permanent dentures if we talk about comfort, biting, chewing, etc.
- What is the right age for dental implants?
Ans. All-on-4 implants are a great solution for patients aged 60 and above, who are missing complete sets of teeth. However, they can also prove helpful for younger patients who have lost most or all of their teeth due to poor oral health or trauma.
The minimum age limit for these dental implants is 18. All-on-4 implants are not for kids whose teeth are still moving as they require a fixed jawbone structure to identify the implantation sites.
Looking to Get All-On-4 Dental Implants in Osseo, MN and Surrounding North-West Suburbs? Book An Appointment at Osseo Dental Today!
Tooth loss destroys so much more than your smile. Severe or multiple tooth loss can also interfere with your ability to talk, eat and live your life to its fullest.
However, there’s no need to live a half-life in this day and age anymore, as you can restore your teeth and their functionality by going for all-on-4 dental implants.
The implant specialists at Osseo Family Dental are eager to restore your beautiful smile using all-on-4 dental implants. Call us at (763) 425–2626 today.